Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta (CnaG) was set up by the Department of Education in Northern Ireland with the aim of promoting, facilitating and encouraging Irish–medium education and Irish–medium schools in a planned, educationally efficient and cost effective way.
In their efforts to help promote Irish–medium education, CnaG prepare detailed reports which provide a strategic assessment of the requirements for the Irish–medium education sector on a regional area basis.
For one such report, CnaG required a project specialist to assist in the preparation of a strategic assessment providing a detailed account of the arrangements required to meet the area planning requirements of the Irish–medium sector.
What We Did
Mallon provided CnaG with a highly experience GIS consultant. Through their experience they employed a GIS to carry out spatial analysis that would be used in the final report, to encapsulate the following:
- Preparation of an area profile, outlining current Irish–medium provisions using robust and verifiable data
- Examination of the current viability and future sustainability of existing provisions in line with the relevant Department of Education policies
- Planning for the future needs of the Irish–medium sector using robust verifiable data
- Identification of any under or over provisions within the Irish–medium education sector, taking into account cross boundary flows
- Identification of options to address under or over provisions within the Irish–medium education sector, taking account of cross boundary flows which deliver viable and sustainable schools
- Production of an area plan of Irish–medium education provision to meet future demand
As part of the final report, 50 maps were produced which detailed pupil distributions for all 5 education boards and individual Irish–medium schools, locations of available cross–border schools, pupil travel routes, locations of available facilities and locations of any areas where a new school is needed.
- Ability to view and examine pupil distribution for each board
- The visualisation of data on a map gives facts and figures a greater impact
- Bus routes and other travel options are easily viewable on a map
- Ability to view potential feeder schools for primary and secondary education
- Ability to view and examine population density around each school
- Ability to view and examine potential locations for new schools
- Creation and printing of highly detailed maps